Saturday 3 November 2012

Main Project: Initial Ideas


Initially I began by separating the current design into its constituent parts which forced me to looks closely at the design and decide what works best and what doesn't. It seems that there are a number of unimportant components on the label, such as the fancy border and the portraits of Lea and Perrins, and a crest near the top. I prefer modern simplistic designs like the Sainsbury's own brand Worcestershire sauce, and feel that it speaks more to a younger audience than elaborate old styles. As Lea & Perrins are looking to appeal to a younger generation then I think this is the route they should take.

Sagmeister & Walsh logo

My initial ideas were inspired by the design agency Sagmeister & Walsh who use a simple ampersand as their logo, which is instantly memorable. I felt that using a simple icon like that would give a product great visibility in the supermarket and decided to incorporate it into my sketches. One example I tried was adding an advertising strategy to the label like was used in their 'Leasagne' advertising campaign, to expand the brand's appeal. In this design I again chose a large ampersand as the main visual point, adding Lea & Perrins to the top of the label and 'Bolognese' to the bottom, to give a similar advertising strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment