Sunday 9 December 2012

Main Project: Alternate Materials

Since I started the design process, I've wanted to create a rustic, natural look for the label and I want to find a second use or environmentally beneficial usage for it once used. The 'Twist' packaging is inspirational, using post-consumer waste but also including a net to create a bird-feeder  which I feel is an example of design going the extra mile.

As Lea & Perrins is used in cooking, creating an equivalent of the bird-feeder for the kitchen was an option. However, the packaging in this case won't be much more than a label, and due to the paper I want to use, I don't feel that it will be sturdy enough to create anything long-lasting or used outdoors.

Case Study: Harmless Packaging
http://www.harmlesspackaging.co.uk/

Harmless create a range of fully compostable packaging, sourced responsibly and sustainably. Their products are derived from potato or corn starch which absorb carbon dioxide as they grow and can be industrially composted to re-enter the life cycle. The EN 13432 standard is a series of checks that a product must go through to ensure that it will compost fully and won't leak toxins into the ecosystem. This includes the fact that the product must bio-degrade into water, carbon dioxide and biomass rather than just breaking into pieces.

Relevance to the Main Project

I would want my product to meet these specifications, and maybe be beneficial to the environment once used, so perhaps could be infused with added nutrients and minerals. Using technology such as the QR Codes to encourage people to start their own vegetable gardens, the label could be composted at home and so help improve peoples' own environments and encourage healthy eating.

I toyed with the idea of adding tomato seeds to the paper, so that people can just add it to the soil and water it to grow their own tomatoes, which I felt linked to one of Lea & Perrins main uses, cheese on toast. However, I found out that the seeds would probably die before they were likely to be used in that way and so I scrapped that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment